History of Coombsville AVA
Nathan Coombs came to the Napa Valley in 1845, via the overland route from Massachusetts to Oregon. Once he decided to settle in the Valley he purchased sections of Spanish land grants to develop a family farm and the City of Napa. The City was founded in 1848. Coombsville is named for this founding father.
Coombsville has always been defined by its geographical area at the southeastern end of the Napa Valley. It is loosely bordered by Millican, Sarco and Tulucay Creeks and identified in non-viticulture terms as the MST. The MST has been historically a water deficit area and therefore limited in development compared to much of the rest of the Valley. The number of residents is few and the commercial agriculture here was traditionally livestock grazing and dairy farming prior to the development of the land for vineyards.
In approximately 1980 the gently hilly terrain and the mixture of well-drained river rock and mineral-rich volcanic ash that makes up the soil here caught the eye of viticulturists and the grazing lands began to grow vines. The cooler climate here allowed the slow-ripening Bordeaux varietals such as Cabernet Sauvignon to produce stellar berries. The Coombsville American Viticulture Area was approved in December 2011.